I have some big problems now that I've moved here. Specifically, how to fit my indoor activities into my weekends. Here's the deal. One of the first things I did after moving here was go to the library, check out a stack of guidebooks, and develop a list of things I want to do/see/explore on Oahu (OCD, anyone?). For each day that I have off, though, those things almost never happen. The primary reason is the weather. On my list are Iolani Palace and the Waikiki Aquarium and the Bishop Museum and an art museum... I could go on. Then, I have a day off, reach for my list... and decide that there's no way I can justify an indoor activity "on a day like this." Every day has been exactly the same. Beautiful. High 80's, gorgeous sky, cool trade winds. So, it seems I'm waiting for winter to do these things. It rains or something here in the winter, right?
There are two other reasons for my procrastination in fulfilling the obligation of said List of Things To Do. First is my new embracement (looked it up, it's a real word) of the island lifestyle. In other words, I now sleep in. A lot. And being that July is the height of tourist season here, you have to get up early to tour Pearl Harbor, or snorkel Hanauma Bay. I'm still working on that. The second? Things that require paid admission. I'm all about the kama'aina (resident) discount, but I have yet to get a Hawaii driver's license so I have resorted to proof of auto insurance (worked) and my library card (not so much) as an alternative. Legally, I'm not actually required to get a Hawaii driver's license. In fact, in my opinion, the only reason to get one is all the discounts businesses here offer to locals. But, the DMV isn't close, is only open during the day, plus they make you take a test again - definitely the written and possibly the driving. Really? Has anyone else had to take one since age sixteen? Plus, in Ohio, I'm not sure how qualified you actually had to be to drive legally. Sure, I still know the legal tire tread in the state (1/16 inch), but many of my friends still cannot parallel park to save their lives , so how accurate can the Maneuverability test be? Exactly. Also? My VA driver's license picture is pretty flattering. I'm not sure I want to give that up. So, I must decide if the new, possibly uglier picture is worth the 4 dollars off admission at the aquarium. I'll let you know.
This weekend: rested and did nothing Saturday (I actually worked a ton the previous week, including a 3:30 am wake up call on the holiday to fly to Maui to do a case). Sunday was a long walk around the perimeter of Diamondhead, a nap, then down to the beach where they were setting up for the free movie (http://www.sunsetonthebeach.net/). I didn't stick around for the movie, but I did get a kickass blue shave ice, provided excellent directions to a series of tourists, and read in the park until the sun was almost down. Today I took the day off (you know, to compensate for those 4 days last week when I worked really hard). I did some exploring, and ended up on a beach that really sees only locals. There were actually only 4 other people there, who turned out to be really nice. One was pulling a Joey Tribbiani burying himself in the sand deal (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20sUHgyW8Ic), and was watching me, perhaps to make sure I'm not easily offended. When I pointed out that his right boob was a bit larger than the left, that apparently broke the ice. Who knew.
A few quick things: Some of you may know I live very close to the zoo. When walking home from the beach yesterday, I was walking along the grounds and saw a closed gate (on the opposite side from the main entrance) with a small laminated sign that read "Elephant Gate." I didn't get it. Visitors can't go in through that entrance. I'm pretty sure the elephants aren't allowed to come and go as they please. Even if they did, I doubt a sign would help them find their way back. That's on my list of questions to ask the zookeeper when I visit (with my kama'aina discount, of course).
Also, I missed the first season because that fell during those cable-less years, but this week, VH1's World Series of Pop Culture returns. I love this show. I'm not sure if it validates or indicts my wasted youth, but I am really good at it. Plus, this year there's a team called the Truffle Shuffles, which I think is freaking fantastic. I haven't even seen them yet, but I feel we should be friends.
Finally, a special hello to Uncle Al and Aunt Sue (who may or may not read my blog) who were nice enough to send me a congratulations/good luck on my move card. It was my first fun mail from the mainland, and actually appeared to get here in fewer than the 10 weeks it took for one of my boxes. Thank you!
No comments:
Post a Comment