Friday, April 11, 2008

Nice views, no humpbacks

Note: I started this post on 2/18/08. Yeah, I'm not behind or anything.

So, much like my fruitless honu searches for my first several months of residence here, January and February are supposedly prime whale watching months here. Of course, I saw none. In an effort to see them, I climbed the path along Makapu'u Point (the easternmost point on the island) which is reportedly a prime whale watching destination. It was a nice walk, hot as hell for the first half because you're on the other side of the cliff from the ocean and the breeze is completely blocked, but after that, it was lovely. Did I see a single freaking whale? Knowing my luck, I think we all know the answer to that.

Incidentally, the following weekend I was at a picnic and a friend was telling me that, the previous day, he had done the Makapu'u trail as well. Then, he proceeds to tell me about all of the whales that they saw. Seriously? So I asked if he was there early in the morning (reportedly the best time to see). Answer: "No, around 3:00." Exactly the time I was there the week before. Boo.



I don't know these people, but I was a bit afraid to climb out on that cliff, so I just took a picture of them enjoying the view. Also? They're from Ohio. Look at that.



















No comments: