Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Six weeks in review

So I've seemingly abandoned the blog for the last two months or so. The problem is mostly that I rarely bring my camera with me unless I have a particularly touristy day planned. Initially, I intended this blog to be more a tool for picture sharing. But, I quickly learned that A) I'm a crappy photographer and B) no matter how pretty it is in person, multiple mediocre pictures of a Hawaiian beach probably get old. Since the picture thing wasn't working out that well, I started trending more towards text, but A) my life isn't that exciting and B) my memory is even worse. So, if I go a few days without updating the old blog, I don't remember what I did anyway.

So. Here's the plan: I'm going to list a few of the many things I've done during this hiatus, in no particularly order, with varying amounts of commentary. If you have something to add, great. That's why there's a comments section. Otherwise, we'll all consider ourselves caught up and call it a day. Without further delay, the following are things I've done, places I've gone, and observations I've made in the last 6 weeks or so.

- Went to Nashville for work, stayed at the Opryland Hotel (that's the Gaylord Opryland Hotel to you, Becky), which is way too large not to have a casino. Saw old friends and colleagues from DC, watched the Tribe/NYY game, wrote a nasty comment card about the airport shuttle guy who was way too touchy-feely for me under any circumstances, and certainly after an 18 hour overnight travel adventure with delayed flights, missed connections, and more delayed flights.
- Speaking of casinos: went to Argosy "riverboat" (they tell me they have a captain and everything) Casino in Indiana. Hung out with the hardcore gamblers who are there in the morning. Lost money as always but was good luck for Walls, which also seems to be a trend. Learned to play Boston 5, which was fun (though it tends to be more fun when A) I'm winning or B) I'm playing with David's money).
- Went to see the family in Ohio. (That answers the 'what were you doing in Indiana?' question). Played with the niece, saw the family, went to Chipotle (which slightly supersedes Target on my 'list of mainland businesses that I really really miss'), celebrated Katie's sober 30th, enjoyed some fall weather.
- Gave a driving tour of the island to my aunt and the Canton, Ohio, contingency. I'm not sure if they can count as my first official visitors when their trip was planned prior to my decision to move, but nonetheless, they get that distinction for now.
- Joined a tennis league that started yesterday, but I haven't played yet. That was a bye week for me. Is it called a 'bye' in individual sports? It is now.
- Watched lots of postseason baseball, and did a decent but not fantastic job of jumping back on the Tribe bandwagon. Yesterday, for example, I had the distinctly Hawaiian pleasure of leaving work early for a 2:00 pm start. We went to the bar, and I managed to cheer for an Indians defensive move and a Varitek hit within the same half-inning. My allegiances are hard to remember, apparently.
- Went to a Thunderbirds Air Show at Waikiki Beach during Navy Week. This was actually a while ago and turned out to be one of my favorite things I've done here so far, but completely accidentally. I had heard about this event, but it wasn't a priority for me. I learned, however, that my plan to take a nap that afternoon would be quickly tossed when a plane flew directly over my apartment at the completion of the first trick (maneuver? I don't know what to call them) and was the loudest sound I have ever heard. Seriously. So I put on some shoes and walked to the park across the street to watch, and it turned out to be terribly entertaining and well worth my time. There are multiple You Tube videos for those interested.
- Read several books. Tested out new fall tv shows for replacements for my old favorite shows that were canceled (I know who you are, Veronica Mars).
- Saw at least six rainbows that were so spectacular that I always wish I have my camera with me (previously noted lack of photography skills aside). Sometimes you see two full ones next to each other. We didn't have that everyday in Canton. Or Durham. Or Boston. Or DC.

Hmm. This got long, and I really should actually do some work. Perhaps I'll do a Part II tomorrow.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Gaylord Opryland! I'm still pissed at the lies they told us about the GooGoos or whatever the heck those things were. "GOO" standing for Grand Old Opry. Lies. All lies.